[Market-farming] Keeping "Rolling Thunder" on the ground.

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Sat Feb 25 18:18:58 EST 2012

Several months ago I submitted an application to NRCS for a grant to put up
a ³Rolling Thunder² moveable high tunnel.  The high winds we have been
experiencing for this past week have gotten me scared.  I have read some of
Elliot Coleman¹s material about these things and I don¹t think his system
for wind anchoring them would hold up to the winds we get here.  His site
appears to have woods with a lot of evergreen trees within several hundred
feet of his high tunnels.  We have scattered patches of mostly hardwood and
a few eastern red cedars forest and we sit between two hills where late
winter wind sucks through with relentless force.

I would be interested in others¹ experiences with ³Rolling Thunder² tunnels
and what they think would be sufficient to hold them on the ground during
the near hurricane force winds which we can expect every spring.
I really don¹t want to take many risks with an investment of $7000 per
tunnel even if the government is going to pay for part of it.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
Virginia