[Market-farming] advice for market vehicle purchase

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 24 11:32:57 EST 2012

I like my Ford Econoline 250, built as a work van.

The particular one I wound up with used to be a Sears appliance
repairs vehicle; it came with shelving that adapted very well to
produce, and with heavy duty guards between the seats and any
potentially flying boxes in case of panic stops or accidents. I can't
quite stand up in it, and I'm short; but it is a very large pleasure
to be able to load in the fall with lots of winter squash as part of
the load and not have to worry much about either the bulk or the weight.

I had a terrible time finding a work van for sale used but in decent
condition until I found a place that specializes in them; they get
vans a few years old from large companies that have fleets of them, do
any obvious repairs, and resell them. They had quite a good selection
to choose from. Beth, Peru looks a pretty good haul from KJ Truck
Sales in Canandaigua, but maybe there's a similar business closer to
you?