[Market-farming] Jang Seeder

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Mon Feb 20 13:39:22 EST 2012

My experience with the Jang seeder have generally been positive, but
mixed.  I never used any other push seeder, so it is hard for me to compare.

First, it is terribly expensive.  And I do not mean just the seeder
itself, but all the accessories (including rollers) are costly too.

Calibration and adjustments takes a long time.  You have to plan on a
few nights playing inside with your seeder to find the proper roller,
sprocket and brush settings to calibrate for your seed lots.  I also
find the depth adjustment to be somewhat counter-intuitive.

Personally, last season (my first), I did not get seeding precise enough
for my taste with beets and carrots.  It still oversow (I got down to
about 50 carrot seeds per linear feet).  It worked wonderfully well for
radish, though, which makes me thinks that it has a lot to do with
rounder, more regular seeds.  This year, I will be experimenting with
coated seeds to improve the accuracy, and with the spreader shoe to
lower the density.

Otherwise, I like it.  It's a solid tool, and I like that the handle is
fully adjustable.  I do not mean to diminish its value, I just want you
get the other side of the story.  From what I hear, I would not want to
be using an Earthway anyway, so I am happy with my Jang!  :)

Etienne

On 12-02-20 12:31 PM, S Brocaar wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are in the market for a tool to help us with seeding. After years of
> doing all our field direct seeding by hand, including using the vibrator
> seeder for the last couple seasons (great for small amounts of fine seed and
> seeding into trays), we have to do something else to be more time efficient.
> My Mother's old Earthway seeder worked sorta alright for beans last year;
> definitely does not work well in our soils for fine seed crops. We will
> continue to use the Earthway for legumes.
>
> I read good things about the Jang push seeders. Anyone with experience using
> same that they would share? I am looking at the single row model; also
> thinking about the 3-row push model as well. Pros/cons? Does anyone use the
> double opening disk and/or double shoe options? We are working approximately
> 1 acre, often rocky, sandy loam, fair drainage, raised beds, intensive
> production; hoping to move to nearly year round cropping in the next year or
> so. Getting ready to plant peas this week in our new Rolling Thunder!
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sandy Brocaar
> MiVida Gardens
> Growing Natures Way in Silver Lake, NH
> (Mount Washington Valley in NH)
> Now - Zone 5B (I think) - altho this winter it is more like zone 6/7 - only
> 3 nights below 0F

> address and password):

Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com