[Market-farming] taking the plunge

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Feb 20 11:01:43 EST 2012

Hi Kathryn,

First, I would ask all of this of your specific certifier. They're the
only ones who can say for sure how much detail is needed, whether they
require a backup plan for hay, etc.

Having said that, my guess based on my experience (though bear in mind
I'm not a livestock farmer) is:

	1) The information you're listing will probably be enough.

	2) You probably need to provide approximate sizes of paddocks, and a
farm map showing where each paddock is located. My guess is that
they'll want some idea of what species are in the pasture, but most
likely not an exhaustive list if it's mixed with more than a few; at
least approximate stocking rates (so they can tell if you're likely to
be overgrazing). If by rotation you mean crop rotation in the
paddocks, in your first year of certification they may want the
previous three years, and will probably want an overall rotation plan,
but will most likely allow leeway if you need to change as long as
it's still a reasonable rotation (I've switched fields in a wet year
because the intended field was too wet to plant at the time, and NOFA-
NY, at least, was OK with that.) If the paddocks are in permanent
pasture, and you mean moving the stock from one paddock to another, my
guess is that they'd want an overall idea but would allow for changes
due to weather etc. affecting speed of growth; but again, talk to the
certifier.

	3) Will you be able to certify your hay fields this year, or will
they still be transitional? (this depends, basically, on whether
they've been managed organically for three years; and whether you have
records sufficient to show this.) -- as to what the certifier
considers "reliable", I think you'll just have to ask them.

You may have a choice of certifying agencies in your area; if so, as
they now all have to certify to the same standards, what you want to
look for in choosing among them (besides price) is how responsive they
are to questions, and how well their forms fit your particular
operation. (In my area, while many of the larger field crop operations
are certified with OCIA, many of the diversified vegetable farms find
the NOFA forms easier to work with. NOFA-NY holds workshops for first
year applicants; I don't know whether any agency working in your area
does the same, but it may well be worth your time to find out.)