[Market-farming] taking the plunge

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 10:21:23 EST 2012

I guess the main question I have at this point is in terms of how much
detail to provide with the various forms.  Some examples:
1) in the crop production paperwork, where I need to describe insect/pest
control, we mainly have issues with slugs and birds.  We control the former
with a combination of hiding-spot removal, beer traps, slug bait (which is
OMRI listed) and hand-picking, and the latter by putting netting over the
rows  they're pestering.  Is that all I need to say, or does it need to be
more  elaborate?

2) In the livestock production paperwork where I describe that they're on
pasture roughly six months each year and in yards the balance of the year,
do I  need to give the exact sizes of the paddocks?  The species in the
pasture?  The stocking rates and rotation schedule?  Or just a general  overview?

3) There's a stipulation that we must have "reliable" access to certified
organic feeds.  We are going to put up our own hay this year on certified
organic ground.  Do I have to show alternative sources for hay if something
goes wrong with that harvest?  We'll be buying in feed from a long-standing
organic feeds supplier.  Do we have to show a Plan B if that supplier
suddenly can't provide feed anymore?  Or for both, can we simply state  that
we've got a stockpile of feed/hay to carry us through short-term  gaps?

I could drive myself crazy with trying to hit that "Goldilocks" point of
providing "just right" levels of detail.  Should I start with only  general
information and let the inspector tell me if more detail is  needed?  Thanks
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 2/20/2012 5:43:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,