[Market-farming] taking the plunge

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Sun Feb 19 23:20:35 EST 2012

Hey everyone, here's hoping you all have had a nice weekend.  I just  spent
the whole day here going through a bunch of online documentation, and
comparing what we do to what would need to be done, to become certified
organic.  I think <insert big inhale> we're going to submit our  paperwork and go
for it - for both crops and livestock production.  We've  been so close for
so long, and now that we're selling meat it just seems like  "the thing to
do" for a variety of reasons.  The pain-in-the-butt factor is  right up there
of course, and I'm not even entirely sure if our pricing would  change a
lot.  But after going through yet another round of "no we're not  certified but
here's how we do things....." conversations with potential buyers,  I just
finally decided it was time.

So, for all those who are already certified organic, you might have a  new
fledgling member soon amongst your ranks.  I have already put in an  email
to our local Tilth group to see who's certified organic and would be
willing/able to answer some newbie questions.  But if anyone on this list  would be
willing to do the same, even though you're in another state and another
certifying agency, I'd sure love to know if I'd be able to send you
questions.

I sort of feel like I'm warming up for a much bigger ball game, and about
to take my first time at batt.  Not even hoping to hit it out of the park;
just want a fair pitch, a clean hit and a safe run around  the bases.  Guess
I'm looking for a first base coach (and maybe some  cheerleaders).........
Kathryn Kerby, who doesn't normally resort to sports metaphors
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html