[Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny'shoops ben...

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 21:40:14 EST 2012

That happened here as well with our shelters, during our recent round of
snowstorms.  Most of our shelters were OK but one with multiple purlins
collapsed for that very reason.  Anything that can reduce proper  runoff and
allow a pool to form, whether it's purlins or support struts or  whatever, will
dramatically increase the amount of weight on the roof at any  given time.
One way to avoid that is to have the plastic film stretched  really tight
over the frame.  But if the film stretches and pockets form,  such that water
keeps pooling there, that's the kiss of death.  We may have  been able to
avoid our collapse by replacing the film earlier, but alas we  didn't.  Ahh,
the benefits of 20/20 hindsight.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 2/18/2012 1:40:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,