[Market-farming] For those who have built tunnels using Johnny'shoops bender

MAsteveINE MAsteveINE at 207me.com
Sat Feb 18 13:06:59 EST 2012

How are these guys ventilated?

MAsteveINE
  0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  Hello everyone,

  I bought Johnny's "Quick Hoops" high tunnel bender.  Their instruction
  manual is really good, and I like their design.  I am planning on
  building two 100' tunnels this spring.  I have two questions for those
  who have built similar tunnels.

  First, Johnny's tunnel are 7' high in the middle, which I find is a
  little low for trellised crop.  I would prefer something closer to 10'
  high.  I am thinking that, instead of cutting the 6' post in half, I
  would use the full 6' length of the post, leaving 4' sticking out of the
  ground (instead of 1').  I This would make a kind of straight "side
  wall" 4' high, on which the bows would rest.  This would obviously cost
  twice as much in post, but I think it is a fair trade off.  Have someone
  done something similar, and if yes, is the structure sound?

  Secondly, how wide have you set the bows?  The example in the manual as
  a bow every 4'.  I am planning on using three purlins (one in the
  center, and two to attach the trellises to), so I am thinking the
  structure will be quite solid indeed.  I am thinking of having one every
  6' instead.  Would that be enough?  My only worry is water accumulating
  on the plastic above the purlins.

  Beside, what was your experience?  Any tips to share?

  Thanks!

  --
  Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village