[Market-farming] growing on plastic

Lucy Owsley boulderbelt at embarqmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:05:52 EST 2012

We use landscape fabric that we have burned holes into at differing spacing
depending on the crop. We reuse them for years (our oldest is 11 years and
still going strong).

We used to use IRT plastic but had issues with trashing after at most 2
seasons but usually after one season it was in really bad shape especially
where dogs and weed whackers had put tears and holes into it. And where
ever a hole appears weeds soon follow. Don't have that issue with landscape
fabric. But because the lanscape fabric comes in much shorter lengths,
especially if you cut it to fit you beds and they are less than 500' a
mulch layer may not work for putting them down. i don't know because we put
all ours down by hand (fun job when you do 200+ beds).

One thing about landscape fabric, you can get it at any garden center
including most of the box stores. Not true for IRT and the like.

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm