[Market-farming] making raised beds

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Thu Feb 16 10:16:41 EST 2012

One option here is to buy the BCS used.  We did that several years  ago,
buying ours for half the cost of new.  It served us well until I left  it
outside one winter, which allowed one wheel brake to lock up an the carb to  get
mucked up.  Still cheaper to repair it than buy new.  The range of
implements is pretty impressive too, and some of those are relatively easy to  find
used.  The Earthtools folks have a Used Implements section of their
website that might be worth watching, and craigslist often has used implements
(at least in our area).  We've gotten both our rototiller and our sickle  bar
mower that way.  Getting our BCS up and running this spring is fairly  high
on my to-do list, and happily it's simple enough mechanically that I can do
most of that work myself.  Just haven't had time yet to get after it.
Most of our early beds are already set to go, or need something I can do
without  the BCS, so I have the luxury this winter/spring to work on other things
first.  But later this year I'll be needing it, so it's definitely on my
get-it-running-soon list.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 2/16/2012 6:51:30 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,