[Market-farming] making raised beds

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Thu Feb 16 09:50:53 EST 2012

Hi Harriet,

I am in the market for a walk-behind tiller next season.  I am
considering a BCS/Grillo, but they are really expensive.  I guess, if it
is your sole soil-working machine, it makes sense to put a couple
thousands toward it, and have a one that is versatile and reliable.  But
it is hard to justify the difference for a machine I would use just a
couple times a year.  I would rather buy a cheaper tiller (a Troy-Bilt,
very likely), and invest the balance in tractor implements.  They're not
any more expensive than walk-behind implements (sometime, they're
cheaper, even), and they get the job done a lot faster.

But then, I've got 10 acres.  In term, I am hoping to have 5 acres in
vegetables, and 5 in cover crop, so I *will* need a tractor for soil
prep and mowing at that scale.  If I was staying at one acre or so, a
walk-behind tractor would indeed make a lot more sense.

I have to admit: the Berta plow is an intriguing implement, though.
It's worth watching the video on the Earthway Tools web site!  :)

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village