[Market-farming] Making raised beds

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Thu Feb 16 08:37:07 EST 2012

On 12-02-15 08:52 PM, Peter Worsley wrote:
> I mow, then rip, then rototill. After a few weeks, I make raised beds
> with two disks on a toolbar, which scoop the soil into a "ridge". Then
> I rake by hand, forming a 30" bed (my tractor wheels are 30" apart).
> As John wrote, the tractor wheels compact the soil into paths between
> the beds. You can irrigate, then flame the beds&  paths for weed
> control.

That sounds a lot like I want to do.  Most implement sold as disk bedder
that I can find online are actually just glorified toolbar with disks.
In many cases, though, the disks come in "gang" of two or three, and
they are attached at an angle, such as what we can see here:

     http://buctraco.com/3%20Online%20Catalog/Models2161&2161-GW.htm

For the sake of comparison, how high do you get your bed?  Which soil
type do you have?  And how much HP does it take to do the job in your case?

With a setup similar to yours, I think I could skip the raking step by
having a levelling blade of some sort attached behind the disks (perhaps
just a 2x4 bolted to the toolbar somehow).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  :)

--
Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com