[Market-farming] On damp off:

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 15 08:49:40 EST 2012

I strongly suspect that damping off is also suppressed by the use of a
live compost-based potting soil that's full of beneficial organisms.

I've been starting transplants organically for twenty five years now,
using such potting soils, and not sterilizing anything. I've never had
the problem.

That of course isn't a guarantee that nobody ever will, using this
technique. The world is lacking in guarantees. But starting in sterile
potting mixes seems to me to be starting off with a vacuum that
something is going to come in to fill.