[Market-farming] advice for market vehicle purchase

Antoine Gendreau Turmel fermecouleedouce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:37:38 EST 2012

I bought a 2006 sprinter van this winter and I love it, but I have not used
it yet for vegetable deliveries. Mine is a passenger van with the rear seats
and all and I use it as our second vehicule right now.

Two things I love about it:

-You can stand up in it (i¹m 6¹1²) That makes loading and unloading MUCH
easier.

-It has great fuel economy. It get around 20MPG when it¹s loaded (I have the
extra long version with high roof). The smaller ones get about 25mpg from
what i¹ve read. This van has more than twice the cargo area of my chevrolet
express, yet has better fuel economy. Not to mention the mercedes
turbodiesel engine that can last more than 600 000 miles...

The biggest drawback to the sprinter van is that it¹s a complex german
vehicule and you can¹t service it at your local auto repair shop. You have
to make sure you have a dealer (dodge, mercedes or freightliner) near you
that can service it. Having to drive 200 miles for a check engine light is
not something you want to be doing.

The Ford Transit seems like a goog vehicule, but it¹s way too small for my
needs. It seems Ford is making a bigger one in Europe, but it is not
available (yet) in North America.

Hope this helps.

Antoine G Turmel

Ferme de la Coulée Douce