[Market-farming] Somehow we'll make it: Changes due to new USDA zoning map

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 7 12:55:37 EST 2012

Yes, I know that people growing in the South have crops and growing
techniques adapted to that climate; and that the native and
naturalized plants that are used to Zones 6, 7, and 8 do of course do
well in zones 6, 7, and 8.. For that matter, I know that some people
locate in the South specifically for the reason that they wish to gow
in that climate.

I chose the Northeast because, at the time I made that choice, the
Northeast had a climate that suited me personally. And many people
have a great deal of investment in varieties that are also suited to
that climate -- we grow entirely different grapes than are grown down
South, for instance; and this is a major grape growing region, though
I personally only have a few. It's exactly spring freezes after
insufficient earlier dormancy that are the most worrisome issue in
terms of grapes, tree fruits, and similar crops.

The predator insects that help with many Southern pests often won't
overwinter here, and have to be purchased, at considerable cost, every
year, if they're available to us at all. The issue is not only
specific farm crops, but the overall ecology of the area we're farming
in. We are starting to get Southern pests and Southern pest pressures
without, yet, the predators that have adapted to control them.

The issue isn't whether we can adapt, if we have to. The issue is how
we are best going to. And this is made more difficult by the fact that
we're not growing in an established Zone 8 or 7, in the middle of an
ecology adapted to that; we're growing in what used to be zone 5 or
even 4, in the middle of an ecology that was adapted to those
circumstances, and which is likely to throw a wide variety of pest and
other problems at us during the time while it's shifting into whatever
it's shifting into -- while very likely occasionally deciding to
behave briefly again like zone 5, or even 4; so that varieties adapted
only to conditions further south can't be trusted here either, at
least not yet.