[Market-farming] cotton work socks

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 7 11:42:30 EST 2012

Hi all --

I seem to remember that some time ago we had a discussion on this
thread of the difficulties of finding good quality work socks, and
that several people were looking specifically for cotton work socks.
If I'm wrong, and nobody here is interested, apologies for inflicting
this on your inboxes, but:

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/product/wm-rag-crew-sock-21528.aspx

the above fit me quite nicely. I take a unisex sock size 10 (not shoe
size -- the closest thing to a shoe size that fits me is a men's 7 1/2
or 8 EE). I've put several pairs through multiple washes now and they
have neither shrunk nor stretched (a common problem with ragg socks,
in my experience, if they're not made right.)

Caveats: 1) They do have 28% wool in them; so if you can't tolerate
any wool at all, they won't do. 2) I haven't yet worn them in hot
weather, so I can't guarantee they don't give me the heat rash that
mostly-wool socks give me in the heat. (I may try to remember to
update on this in or after this summer.) 3) They're expensive for a
primarily cotton sock; but socks that actually fit are massively
easier on the feet; and this is a good heavyweight boot sock, not
flimsy or thin. 4) Duluth Trading, at least the last I looked, only
carries them in that one size, which is going to be too small for many
men and too large for some small-footed women. They are made by Fox
River, and Fox River does carry them in four different sizes, though
for a lot more money:

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search.aspx?type=sockfinder&height=&weight=&padding=&content=&temperature=&activity=&feature=&size=&audience=&stylenumber=2689