[Market-farming] Squash Bugs, was Snow Peas

Deb Taft deb at mobiusfields.com
Sun Feb 5 12:18:51 EST 2012

Pam, thanks for the link; it's helpful.  I'm already prepared with
Surround, as was suggested by the study cited there and will go ahead and
sell off major assets to lay in a supply of Pyganic, as it appears the
combo works best.

Last year was the first time I saw (or noticed...) them here in Westchester
County, NY (spitting distance from northern NJ, the second state they
apparently moved into.), but my boyfriend used to live in the DC area and
we saw huge numbers of them there in the summer of 2009.  I think we're
just seeing the tip of the iceberg here.  While there were what I would
call A LOT of them at my place last season, my colleagues in the area
didn't seem too overwhelmed by them.  From the research I've been looking
at, we are at the start of the infestation in NY (and OH) and can expect
things to get a lot worse.  Now is the time to figure out how to deal with
them!

There's an interesting series of maps of their distribution here:
http://www.northeastipm.org/neipm/assets/File/BMSB%20Resources/ESA%20Eastern%20Branch%202011/03-Biology-and-Current-Spread-of-the-Brown-Marmorated-Stink-Bug-in-North-America.pdf

Best,
Deb
Mobius Fields