[Market-farming] Broadforks

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Fri Dec 28 10:38:36 EST 2012

I want to buy a broadfork, primarily for loosening beds in the hoophouse,
where we don't till. I want a strong one that will do the job, preferably
cover a 48" bed top in two passes, and be manageable for normal farmers
(rather than 6'+ bodybuilders). What does anyone recommend? Ash handles or
steel? Curved round-section tines or wedge-shaped plate tines?

I've looked at Johnny's, Gulland Forge, Cool Tools, Valley Oak, Grelinette
from Red Pig Tools, Meadow Creature and Lehman's. Is there a good one I'm
missing?

Currently I'm favoring ash handles, 4" tine gap, not more; 24" width or so.
This leads me towards either the Gulland Forge or Johnny's 727 (7 tines in
27"). Both have curved round tines, as it happens (I wasn't sure which way
to lean on the tine shape question.) The Grelinette sounds nice but costs
50% more.

I welcome recommendations, especially if you've tried more than one brand.
Also any problems you've encountered, or aspects I haven't mentioned.

Thanks!
Pam, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia

--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a
Few Acres
http://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming