[Market-farming] I need the perfect spinach planter

stonecirclefarm tds.net stonecirclefarm at tds.net
Thu Dec 27 19:37:54 EST 2012

I have heard very good things about the 4-row pinpoint but mostly in terms
of lettuce and all the brassica family greens.  Not sure how it does with
spinach.  My guess is that it may not be well suited to get the spacing you
may want for full-sized spinach but might be great for baby-leaf spinach.
I bought a Jang a few years ago and one of the crops I was especially
wanting to use it for was spinach because of the skipping and bunching
problems with the Earthway.  I cannot report definitively on results with
the Jang, however, because about this same time I decided to start using my
paper chain pot transplanter for spinach.  Results have been so good with
transplanting that I never followed through with using the Jang for
spinach.  (Full disclosure: I'm the guy who imports and distributes the
paper chain pot system from Japan.)  I prefer transplanting spinach because
I always get perfect, uniform stands (with 4" in row spacing) regardless of
field conditions (moisture and heat) because I can germinate the spinach in
a germination chamber or my greenhouse or a cool place inside one of my old
barns during the heat of summer.  Transplanting also helps with season
extension in the spring.  Back to the Jang, I really like it for carrots
and radishes so I expect it would do a vastly superior job as compared to
the Earthway.  Among the direct-seeding options you listed, the Jang would
be my vote.  It is certainly more expensive than an Earthway but it is
vastly superior.  I've yet to swear at it!  Can't say that about the
Earthway...

-John