[Market-farming] Hiring

Carla Maness manessfarm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 20:23:53 EST 2012

Lisa,
your response made me laugh! Years ago I worked on a vegetable research
station and when I would complain about our seasonal work crew my boss
would always tell me" they are bodies. We need bodies."

I have tried to keep that in mine with our own work crew. We spent years
swearing we would stay small enough to not require outside help. Myself
full time, and my husband when he got home from work. The demand at our
market increased, we kept growing more to try and meet the demand and about
7 years into this we decided we could use a little help especially when my
school teacher friend mentioned she would like to work out here part time.

She will be returning for her 3rd summer in 2013. She works hard, knows
what to do and is a big help. She can only work 2 days a week, and only
from the 1st of June to the 1st of August. So, while she's a great asset,
it leaves us with a marketing season that goes year round and she's here
for 2 months. So... we picked up a college student this year with an
interest in wanting to farm some day.  He's a very hard worker, works fast,
and does a good job. The problem? He can't remember anything!!!  Every day
was like the first day. I had to show him over, and over, and over how to
do something, where the beans were, how to pick the squash, all things he'd
just done a few days before. It was frustrating, at least for me, but he
was such a fast tomato picker that I may have to keep him around! :)

Carla
Perkins, OK. where we were really hoping for a blizzard and got nothing. We
need the moisture!