[Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Wed Dec 26 16:05:54 EST 2012

I struggle with having help.  I definitely need it.  I know folks who hire
local people part-time, and want to find one or two of those.  So far I have
gone with several college students part-time, but they come and go, are not
used to field work, and I still need them in late August and September.  I
planned to have one full-time person and one good part-time person (who had
worked the previous summer part-time too).  The full-time person backed out
at the last minute and I never got a good replacement.  The part-time person
had very serious health issues this year and couldn't work.  Fortunately I
teacher/CSA member worked two days a week washing and packing, and another
CSA person volunteered one afternoon a week. Having part-time folks who come
and go results in me not training them for good jobs, so stick them with
jobs I think they can't mess up, i.e. weeding, which they don't like.  I
don't mind weeding, but hate washing and packing.

My plan for this year is to have two part-time plus one full-time OR 4
part-time.  Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday they will wash and pack.  If someone
wants full-time and/or wants to learn organic gardening, then that person
will help with field work.  All will probably help with early planting
(which they also don't like), and I may train one to do seeding.

My biggest need is probably help with sales, but I really want to stay under
the $20,0000 ag employment limit to avoid unemployment, disability, etc (do
have workers comp), Ag employees can wash, pack, and deliver, but not do any
retail sales work, or you lose the nice exemptions, at least in New York.
This many be penny foolish of me - I don't know yet.  But when I inquired
about offering unemployment they said I would have to continue to pay
unemployment for three years after the employees moved on, and that sounds
intimidating.

Perhaps you can each be independent businesses, or she can be a
subcontractor.  If she wants to do a farmers market, let her supply all the
equipment, transport, etc so she qualifies as an independent contractor.  Or
, if you market allows, just let her buy your stuff wholesale and sell it at
the market.  If there are additional specific things she could subcontract
to do, such as seeding plug trays at her place and delivering them to you
ready to go.  Or if she sub-contracted to keep weeds under control. Etc.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe