[Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?

stonecirclefarm tds.net stonecirclefarm at tds.net
Wed Dec 26 12:42:11 EST 2012

When I started my farm, I wanted to avoid hiring people beyond paying my
two boys.  My reasons were pretty simplistic: I did not start a farm to be
an employer and managing hired labor was something I was frankly afraid of
based on my preference to work alone (and some "control freak" issues).
I've done a 180 on this and now feel that hiring labor is virtually
essential if one is to derive any decent amount of financial return from a
small market farm.  I say that in terms of my context which involves a
spouse with no desire to work on the farm...things could be different with
two people at the helm although I know of few examples where two people are
able to earn a complete livelihood without some hired (or volunteer) help.

So, I recommend hiring help.  But one thing that is tricky is that hiring
people too early in your farms development can be very inefficient.  It is
one thing to "pay yourself" to do work on a farm that may still be lacking
adequate tools, infrastructure, and refined systems to get jobs
accomplished.  It is another thing to actually stick an (untrained, less
skilled) person into an inefficient system and than have to pay them.  So,
one bit of advice is to hold off on hiring until you've "got things going
enough" to warrant plugging in a paid employee into a well-functioning
system.  That said, you might not completely recognize where your farm is
inefficient until you start hiring and observing things from a manager's
perspective.  Growing pains are inevitable!  Do not let a fear of growing
pains prevent you from investing in tools, equipment...or employees.

Another general piece of advice I have found useful is to hire part-time
employees in the beginning so that you can ease into being an employer.
This could be a partial day arrangement where you have workers for 4 or 5
hours a day or an arrangement where you have helpers 2 or 3 days a week.

-John