[Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 12:31:07 EST 2012

That's an excellent point, the differences between employee and  partner.
I'll have to add that into my considerations.  One more  angle to mull.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 12/26/2012 9:25:05 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rrobinson at nasw.org writes:

On 12/26/2012 at 12:11:01 PM,  KAKerby at aol.com wrote:
> We have been on the fence  for awhile now about hiring some help for the
> production year.   Things came to a head this past weekend, when a good
friend
> of ours, who has worked  with us here sporadically in the past, dropped a
> comment at a Christmas  party that she thinks we should work together
during
> 2013 as partners, really  rev up production, and go back to selling at the
> farmer's market.
> A 15 second comment has  proven to give me three days' worth of "should
we or
> shouldn't we?"  And  every time I think I've answered the question, I
think of
> some new  "angle".

We work alone here, so take  this for what it's worth, but I would say that
working with a new partner is a  whole different thing than working with an
employee. The issues involved in  the former include decision-making,
levels of financial investment, sharing  risk and profit, and a lot more. To me,
it makes the latter seem easy, in  comparison.

Richard  Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
Hopestill  Farm
www.hopestill.com