[Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 11:02:46 EST 2012

Interesting - when I attended the meeting for GAP a few years ago, the
presenters said that it applied to all branches of food production.  While
meats and dairy were already fairly well covered by their own rules and regs,
and GAP cert. would bring veggie production "into the 21st century of food
safety rules" (their words), the presenters said that GAP guidelines applied
to  any form of food production.  No distinction made in the workshop
between  folks producing veggies and those producing other edibles.  Folks
producing  meat and eggs certainly weren't told to go home because it didn't apply
to  them.  If anything, the presenters said that GAP would streamline a
farm's  various food safety methods such that all products met newer, more
stringent  guidelines.  While eggs might not be quite as prone to food safety
issues  as other foods, because they're cooked first, they certainly aren't
immune from  such issues.

As for our own plans, we did eggs this year but planned to expand to other
products in 2013 for that particular food hub.  We already have our egg
handler license from the state, but I wondered if offering more products would
 open us up to needing the GAP cert.  Sounds like there's a good chance it
would.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 12/21/2012 7:49:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,