[Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:31:17 EST 2012

For my GAPs inspector at the Whole Farm Review level the vinyl floor in the
cooler was OK.  GAPs is a multi-level program.  The Whole Farm Review is
the most basic evaluation.  Farms can also have specific crops audited,
their packing operation, trucking, warehousing, etc... I don't know if the
situation would be different if the Packshed was audited separately, but
based on my previous work experience with food packaging and food
manufacturing facilities, the key points of concern will boil down to
separation of food from potential contaminants, washable surfaces and a
regular well documented hygiene and sanitation program.

The bigger area of concern for my GAPs audit was bathroom facilities for
employees and documentation showing that they were cleaned regularly and
that, I'm not making this up, single use paper towels or a hand dryer was
used for drying hands.  Farms without employees can get away with using a
bathroom in the house without documentation.

My GAPs audit was extremely literal and there wasn't any partial credit.
Items were either fully in compliance or not and each section was totaled
up.  If enough points weren't earned or I missed a critical point I would
have  failed the audit.

Andy