[Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:07:59 EST 2012

I went through GAPs certification in 2011 at the Whole Farm Review level.
One of my coolers has a vinyl floor and the small one is built on an
insulated steel floor.  Neither surface was an issue.  From a food safety
issue, the bigger concerns are going to be that the produce is not placed
on the floor (I store mine on inverted totes, which keeps it >6" off the
floor), that all surfaces are washable and that a regular schedule is
followed to clean the cooler and work area.  Another item which will be of
concern is cooler temperature and regular monitoring of temperature.  The
biggest change I needed to make as I went through GAPs was documentation.
If your GAPs manual says you will do something, you need to have
documentation showing that people were trained how to do it and then they
need to document that they have done it.

Andy