[Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

Vern and Amy vaspencer at sisna.com
Thu Dec 20 00:28:38 EST 2012

Hi guys,

 I just got a cooler/freezer yesterday.  My AC friend can't believe the
CoolBot will do what it is supposed to do.  I am sending him a link so
he can take a look.  I learned that you want to recycle an old
compressor properly or you could get a $25K fine.  Sounds pretty far
out, but it makes me think before I do something I would regret.

My former career was concrete floors, walls, etc.  Dad says 8 inches
(like a wall) has the insulating value of a single pane of glass (R-1).
You can put it directly on the correct grade of polystyrene (one that is
designed to carry the weight), but it is harder to finish the wet
concrete then because the excess water can't get down through the foam.
I would put at least 4 inches of sand or gravel on top of the
polystyrene and then the concrete.  You want to make sure the subgrade
below the foam is well-compacted and drained if possible to minimize
heaving from winter freezing and breaking.  I would also make a thermal
break of at least a 1/2" fiber board or wood or even better, foam if you
have floor outside your cooler.  Maybe the best would be 4 inches or
more around the perimeter except at the door (1/2" fiber or redwood) so
you don't get a dip for a cart to hang up on.

I am all ears for suggestions.

Vern