[Market-farming] Fall Peas

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:43:25 EDT 2012

Allan,
When we soak overnight, we then plant by hand between 24 and 48 hrs from
placing in water.
Planting by hand actually goes pretty fast for a few hundred feet, when I
consider how much I get for Snap peas at our market.  If we wait 48 hrs or
more, then the root starts to emerge, which is easily broken off during
planting.

Ideally, I want most of them to just be showing that bulging root when I
plant, or barely poking through the seed coat.

(I've not tried our Earthway seeder at that point, don't know how much it
would damage them, if any.  Worth a comparison, but I'd use the seeder
after 24 hrs.)

After planting we keep the rows moist, by watering, and a layer of fine
leaf mulch or pinestraw when available.

We are forecast mid to upper 80s next three days, so will see how that
affects the pea emergence this year.
Richard Moyer
SW VA  Out to play in the river