[Market-farming] Fall Peas

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Sat Aug 25 07:57:14 EDT 2012

On 8/25/2012 at 7:53:45 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I've never tried peas in the fall.
>
> It looks like if I'm going to try this year, it's now or never.
>
> Other than for the soil, as a CSA crop, is it worth growing peas in the fall?
>
> I think It's Sweet Anne I'll be putting in. (60 days ?)
>
> I'm in the mid-Atlantic, just outside of DC.

I wish you luck, and hope you will share your success or learning experiences after the fact. The challenges are several--peas rot in hot soil (sowing pre-germinated seed might help), growth rate slows way down in the fall, just as they should be busting out, and even light frosts will damage the pea pod. If you can grow them low to the ground under row cover, you may be better off.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com