[Market-farming] Popcorn Sheller

andrea davis andrea.m.davis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:19:54 EDT 2012

    I'm growing popcorn for the first time this year and it is looking
beautiful!  I had intended to just sell it by the ear to my CSA but now I'm
thinking it would great to sell it at farmers' market too.  I was thinking
I could still sell it by the ear but then put it through a hand crank corn
sheller right there at the market.  I am wondering if anyone on this list
has done something like this before and if they have any advice or
suggestions?

    Also I have looking to purchase a hand crank corn sheller.  Most our
priced around $270 like this one from
Lehman's<http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_Farm___Farming___Helpers_and_Utilities___Lehman_s__Best_Corn_Sheller___CS?Args=>
but
then I found one at Pleasant Hill for
$80<http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/corn_sheller_hand_operated_crank_manual_antique_walnut_stationary.aspx>,
seems like a big price difference and of course I'm leaning towards the
cheaper one.  Any popcorn sheller recommendations?

   I'm also trying to figure out how to make a box to hold the sheller and
an efficient way to operate it at the market.

Thanks in advance to everyone on the list for your help,

Andrea
Quarter Acre Farm (that is truly 3/4 of an acre)
Sonoma, CA