[Market-farming] root digger implement options

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 12:34:45 EDT 2012

I'd love to see photos of what you're describing!

I have been looking at some of the other tools that folks have listed so
far.  Nice to know we have some options, particularly options which don't
involved big outlays of $$$ and doctorates in mechanical engineering.  Not
sure which we'll end up with (that toolbar sure would be handy, not only for
digging but also for cultivation work).  But I'm very pleased to know that
one way or another, I won't be digging potatoes by hand anymore.  Life's
too short!

And I will share a little bit of "the rest of the story".  Some folks  will
recall that we rent land from, and are being mentored by, a wonderful
elderly farmer whose farm we'd like to buy someday.  This year for a  variety of
health reasons, he's starting to back off his own farming work, and  he has
invited us to rent another parcel of the farm next year.  This  expansion
into root crops would be part of that.  I want to make sure  that if we do
take him up on that offer, we have all the pieces in place to do a  really
good job of it.  It's one thing to ask a landowner if we can work  fallow land.
 It's a whole 'nuther topic to have him invite us to take over  management
of a parcel he had been actively working.  An honor and  privilege, and an
opportunity to do some additional things we've wanted to try,  but also
rather terrifying in terms of living up to that responsibility.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 8/19/2012 4:56:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,