[Market-farming] New Raspberry pest-back again with a vengance

Marlin Burkholder burkholders at glenecofarm.com
Wed Aug 15 15:26:58 EDT 2012

This is Christine describing what I see.
We do not see pests or flies on our raspberries.  One of our pickers saw
some little moths.  I have seen a few bugs which look like squash bugs, but
have extra fuzz on their hind upper legs.
Over the years, we have had the cane bore make the 2 rings around the top
canes and we would break them off and not have damage to canes.  This year,
in addition to some of that, we have whole canes wilting and dying from the
bottom.  They will have a clean break near the bottom of the cane.  When one
goes to remove the cane,  It appears that a bore has laid eggs or cut one
ring around the stalk.
I tried to get the maggots to hatch out, but they molded on the sides of the
plastic jar after 2 weeks.  We are trying again.
Christine & Marlin