[Market-farming] buckwheat

Erin Bullock erin.dandelion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:58:19 EDT 2012

Just a great anecdote about buckwheat.... I planted a few acres of very successful flowery buckwheat, timed to go in just before rain that never came, and then we had a very hot 5 weeks of no precipitation at all.  3 days after planting it came up very strong (with some moisture in the soil I guess, didn't seem that moist when I planted it).
We sowed it using a belly-grinder hand broadcaster.  Then I harrowed it in with an old spring-tooth harrow, then I cultipacked with a double roller.
VERY impressed by the stand.  Just disced it in last week.
Erin

-----

Erin Bullock, Mud Creek Farm
www.mudcreekfarm.com