[Market-farming] Buckwheat question

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:54:29 EDT 2012

   1. Buckwheat Question (Richard Stewart)
>    2. Re: Buckwheat Question (eric slatt)
>    3. Re: Farming the back side of the calendar (Allan Balliett)
>
> Richard,

We, too have a planting of buckwheat that waited for rain, and now is in
full bloom.  Plus another coming on, to bloom later, again drought delayed.
 Then what do I follow this with, and when to seed?

>From seminars I've been to by Ray Weil, and tillage radish lit I've read,
one gets best root mass in late Aug planting, but still benefits from Sept
and even early Oct plantings, depending on the year.  Roots not as deep
with later plantings, but still good coverage and nutrient trap crop.
 Greens also very good eating and a niche market for green sales.

We pick and sell many late planted daikons, the latest planted ones more
like French Breakfast size. But not 4 acres worth!

Ray also showed pics of strip planted daikons, saying they did better than
interplanted with small grains.  So, you could split the difference by
tilling and planting strips of tillage radishes in your buckwheat, and let
the remaining buckwheat bloom out, then plant radishes there last.  Then
see yourself optimal planting dates for daikons on your farm, at least for
2012.

How well will standing buckwheat work as a nurse crop for your winter
wheat?  At least worth a try for a portion of that planting.  Don't know
what signals buckwheat seed to stop germinating.  How cold does it need to
be?

Good chances for some on-farm research...
Richard Moyer
SW VA