[Market-farming] Buckwheat Question

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sat Aug 11 14:33:00 EDT 2012

I was growing buckwheat as a cover crop in hopes of also getting a honey crop off it before tilling it under.  I seeded with a cyclone and cultipacked and due to drought.  I was timing a planting with rain that never came.  Due to drought nothing every really come up save a couple plants here and there.  I let the plot sit hooping to plant a tillage radish by the end of August.  We just had our first decent rain fall in I suddenly have 8 acres of buckwheat growing and growing quickly.

I've never planted or had it growing this late and I am curious if anyone else has had experience with it this late in the year.  Will it make it to flowering AND still have time to seed winter wheat on one half and tillage radish on the others?

I have no problem tilling under once it gets over 12" tall but I'd like to see my bees get some honey off it prior to tillage.

Thanks in advance for any help.