[Market-farming] Germinating and planting spinach

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:25:09 EDT 2012

Yeah, both beets and spinach were on drip irrigation.

Ken

From: organic87 at frontiernet.net
To: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:18:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Germinating and planting spinach

Do you have irrigation on them?

 -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I thinkFresh-market organic produce, small scale

On Aug 8, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Ken Bezilla wrote:Do y'all ever have trouble with spinach plants wilting and disappearing in the heat?  That was my experience in southern Missouri when I tried a mid- to late-August sowing of spinach -- I'd get good germination, just from doing regular direct seeding, no special method; but then the spinach plants would disappear over the next few weeks til there was nothing left.  I thought what I had happening was similar to the problem that beets often had for me when trying to sow them when it's super hot -- good germination but poor seedling survival.  So ever since I've waited til mid-September to plant fall spinach crops.

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central VA

address and password):