[Market-farming] Germinating and planting spinach

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 13:55:59 EDT 2012

Do y'all ever have trouble with spinach plants wilting and disappearing in the heat?  That was my experience in southern Missouri when I tried a mid- to late-August sowing of spinach -- I'd get good germination, just from doing regular direct seeding, no special method; but then the spinach plants would disappear over the next few weeks til there was nothing left.  I thought what I had happening was similar to the problem that beets often had for me when trying to sow them when it's super hot -- good germination but poor seedling survival.  So ever since I've waited til mid-September to plant fall spinach crops.

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central VA