[Market-farming] Germinating and planting spinach

Harriet Allen hattie_allen at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 15:33:25 EDT 2012

I've been doing this for a couple years now after reading about it as a technique The Wiedgers use.  Put the spinach in a jar with water, soak overnight, pour off excess water, stick in the refrigerator, wait several days until you see them sprout.  Plant them outside.  Wow does it work.  But it is tedious to plant the wet seeds and I have never tried putting them into an Earthway Seeder or anything with the little delicate sprouts, although, perhaps you can.
I will say the spinach comes up quickly and faultlessly and they are always the nicest looking beds I have grown.
Hattie
Hattie's Garden
Lewes, DE 19958
Not as bad here on the coast, but bad enough.  No green beans to speak of to pick this week or last because of the heat in late July. Same with big tomatoes.  Peppers and eggplants are better.  Cherry tomatoes seem the most heat tolerant. Coastal area also means we get socked in with humidity and with warm warm nights.  That combination is a struggle.  We are something like 7B.