[Market-farming] Fruit Set Temperatures

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:02:26 EDT 2012

Howdy -

Here in the mid-atlantic our daytime temps have been staying pretty
much up in the 90s the last 3 weeks or so.

While I got pretty good harvests of tomatoes, eggplants and sweet
peppers last week, I don't see much fruit out there this week on the
peppers or egg plants (tomatoes are, fortunately, loaded)

I don't see many blossoms, either.

I have some bush beans that are full of blossoms but are taking their
sweet time to make any beans.

Mr. Google has let me down for locating a precise and authorative
explanation of reduced fruit set in peppers and eggplants and beans
due to high heat that  I can pass along to my CSA members this week.

I'm wondering if anyone reading this list can point me to such a
document (like from a University, or something)

Or, am I kidding myself and my peppers and eggplants have just quit
after one fruit set?

It's raining outside right now. Praise the Lord! I don't think it's
getting cooler any time soon, though.

Thanks

-Allan