[Market-farming] Grafted Tomatoes?

Antoine Gendreau Turmel fermecouleedouce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:34:22 EDT 2011

I use grafted tomatoes in our high tunnels.

Grafted tomatoes offer two advantages:

-soil disease resistance, which is very important in greenhouses or tunnels
where the possibility of crop rotation is limited. Most greenhouses and
tunnels used primarily for tomato production have cork root problems (at
least in Quebec) even if a rotation with cucumbers and peppers is practiced.
This limits the yield and longevity of the crop.

-higher yield potential, especially for continued production over a long
period, as in greenhouses or tunnels.

I don¹t use grafted tomatoes in the field, it just isn¹t worth the extra
cost in our short season. But in the tunnels, grafted tomatoes have a better
start, much improved vigor, and better yields. I think it is really worth
the extra cost.

Antoine G Turmel

Ferme de la Coulée Douce
St-Antoine-de-Tilly, Quebec, Canada