[Market-farming] Bio- Plastics vs. plastic mulch

Antoine Gendreau Turmel fermecouleedouce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 07:32:45 EDT 2011

If I can add to Rob¹s comments,

I am also very satisfied with BioTelo on our farm. It is certified OK
Compost. It holds up pretty well, although it does start to tear down in
august, even sooner on some soils that are wetter or high in organic matter.
By that time tough, the tomatoes, cucumber and squash plants are usually
large enough to shade out most weeds.

But from my experience, the mulch is not totally gone by the next year. You
can still see small bits of black bioplastic on the soil. It is kind of
unsightly. But they do degrade within two years.

Another thing to keep in mind is to order just the quantity you need for one
season. It does not hold well in storage and it will break down very fast if
you try to use it the next year.

Antoine G Turmel

Ferme de la Coulée Douce
St-Antoine-de-Tilly, Quebec, Canada