[Market-farming] Am I Required To Fence In My Land-Ohio Laws and neighbors

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 31 14:39:36 EDT 2011

On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Wyatt Jones wrote:

> Here are some of the Ohio laws regarding livestock confinement and
> fencing.

Hi Wyatt,

You might want to check Richard Stewart's post earlier today to this
list. Apparently the Ohio laws were amended in 2008. It sounds as if
there may have been some changes in your section 971.02 (and maybe
elsewhere); he doesn't quote the actual current language, but make
sure you do have the actual current language.

I don't know whether the change would affect your particular
circumstances, though.

On Mar 31, 2011, at 11:07 AM, Wyatt Jones wrote:

> The township trustee neighbor [ . . . ] The real motivation for him
> to tear down the fence behind the scenes in my opinion is that he is
> trying to coerce me into selling part of my land to him as he has
> been harassing me about it since I moved here.

It sounds as if you moved next door to a pre-existing hassle, on the
one side, at least. Too late now, and you may have had really good
reason to buy there anyway; but, anybody who's looking for land, talk
to the neighbors before signing anything. While you have no control
over who may move in later, it's often possible to find out before
committing yourself whether one of the pre-existing neighbors is
likely to cause you problems. (The neighbors may also know of, and
tell you about, things about the property you're looking at that
neither the seller nor the realtor mentioned.)

When I was farm hunting, at one place I looked at, the next door
neighbor told me that he had agreed (only verbally, I think) with the
current owner to take out a hedgerow between their two vineyards so
that they could both use the common larger headland on which to easily
turn their equipment. He farmed conventionally; I intended to farm
organically. The equipment in question would of course have included
sprayers and fertilizer spreaders. If I had bought that place, I would
have been walking into an immediate major fight with my next door
neighbor, as certification rules require setbacks between conventional
and organic operations. I had other reasons not to buy that particular
place, but that would have been a major reason against it all on its
own; although what he wanted to do was a perfectly sensible idea, as
long as the operations on either side of the property line were either
both conventionally or both organically managed.

At another place I looked at, one of the neighbors told me that
another neighbor was in the habit of trapping the property that was up
for purchase, and was likely to expect to keep doing so. I have both
feline and canine rodent patrol, entirely incompatible with leg hold
trapping; and am personally attached to them. The law would have been
entirely on my side, as it's illegal to trap on private land without
permission from the landowner; but the fight could have been nasty.
Again, there were other reasons not to buy the property; but that was
a factor.

Again, Wyatt, you already own there: I mention this in case there are
other people on this list who are considering buying land, whether for
the first time or relocating.