[Market-farming] Am I Required To Fence In My Land So That MyCattle Do Not Wander Onto My Neighbor's Land?

BarbaraJ jbmckillip at mesanetworks.net
Wed Mar 30 20:50:18 EDT 2011

I was a witness in a very sad court case whereby cows got out at night,
wandered on the road, caused a multi car accident in front of and on my
property.  There was a fatality and he died while we worked on him, with his
wife and small children in the car with him.  It was very messy.  The owners
of the land were an investment group of lawyers, ironically, and they were
not the cattle owners.  They were all sued.  The landowners and the cattle
owners.  The elk had taken down the fence lines, it happens a lot, but the
land owners were still accountable.  No doubt because there were some deep
pockets there, but still here in Colorado, which is a free range state (you
fence out animals from your property) if your animals cause damages or your
fencing fails and someone is dead, there will be an exchange of money and
lawyers.  I much prefer good, stout fences, checked on a regular basis.

Barb
Colorado