[Market-farming] Am I Required To Fence In My Land So That My Cattle Do Not Wander Onto My Neighbor's Land?

Mike Rock mikerock at mhtc.net
Wed Mar 30 17:35:23 EDT 2011

QUESTION: Am I Required To Fence In My Land So That My Cattle Do Not
Wander Onto My Neighbor's Land?

ANSWER:  Yes. However, you and your neighbor can agree that you will
keep your prospective property lines open. If you and your neighbor
agree to keep your property line unfenced you cannot be liable to your
neighbor, and vice versa, if any of your animals enter onto your
neighbor's land and cause damage.

  I think the word YES is pretty clear.....it means YES....

You and the neighbor can agree NOT TO FENCE IF YOU WISH>>>>>  If you do
NOT AGREE NOT TO FENCE, then you MUST FENCE....again, pretty clear.

Mike

I will call the county agent in your county tomorrow or a Finger Lakes
county and clarify.  Also, NEW YORK has some of the oldest fence viewing
laws in the nation.  Upstate I was with a friend who was a fence viewer
for the township.  His job was to  read the law to farmers and arbitrate
disputes on boundaries.

Mike