[Market-farming] Am I Required To Fence In My Land So That My Cattle Do Not Wander Onto My Neighbor's Land?

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 30 14:36:07 EDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Mike Rock wrote:

> http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/Legal-FAQs/pet-law/new-york/am-i-required-to-fence-in-my-land-so-that-my.html
>
> Rivka,
> I am in Wisconsin.  All fifty states have fence laws on the books.
> Here is the NY law regarding cattle.  Or an opinion rendered by an
> attorney.
>
> The fence in question is not 'on someone elses property'.  It is the
> common boundary between adjoining properties.
>
> Mike

Hi  Mike,

I read that link; it says that if the person with cattle doesn't fence
them in, that person can be liable if the cattle cause damage on
neighboring property. (It gave only a very vague reference to a
section of NY Ag and Markets law; that section covers a lot of law
relating to animals, but no section title sounds as if it has anything
to do with fences, and when I put "fence" into the search function I
got "no results found".)

It doesn't say anything about the neighbors, whether or not they have
cattle, being responsible for the costs or maintenance of half the
fence. The post of yours to which I was replying said "When you or
your neighbor views the fence, each is responsible for their half
(right or left).  Even if they don't have livestock and you do, they
must maintain their half of the fence." That statement isn't supported
by your cite.

I don't know whether all fifty states have fence laws on the books;
but, if they do, they may well not all say the same thing.