[Market-farming] Animal and neighbor problems

KAKerby at aol.com KAKerby at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 21:25:52 EDT 2011

Absolutely get the sheriff involved, or Animal Control, or whatever.   Even
if nothing has "happened" yet, it's time now to start documenting the
pattern.  We had issues last year with a neighbor who after 10 years of
peaceable co-existence, started making allegations and demands about how we  manage
our animals.  They came onto the property once under false  pretenses and
wanted to see our horses and cows to ensure they were "properly  cared for".
Another time they came onto the property after we'd found  and adopted a
beagle, claiming to know who the beagle belonged to and they  were there to
"take the dog back to its owner".  Upon questioning they  would not provide
the name, address or phone of the owner, and could  not explain why the owner
hadn't contacted us directly despite Found ads online  and in print all over
town because they didn't like his occassional barking (we  don't let him
bark at night but he does sometimes bark during the day).   I'm pretty sure he
just wanted to take the dog to the shelter and be done with  it.  After
that, the same neighbor would shriek at us from their deck,  threatening to
call Animal Control because we were obviously neglecting our  animals and/or
had vicious dogs.  I called the sheriff at that point and  made a report.
They said if the neighbor called AC, welcome the officer  with open arms but no
I did not ever have to allow the neighbor on the property  for any reason.
We later got licensed and inspected as a kennel to create  a record of our
operation in case of future complaints.  Without that paper  trail, it's
just a case of he said/she said.  Document these issues now,  and show law
enforcement that you're the reasonable one trying to be proactive  and
diplomatic.  Then if this escalates, you can report that escalation and  the
neighbors will have a harder time claiming you're the unreasonable  one.

Also, from a dog rescue list that I'm on: if neighbor dogs  are trespassing
on the property, get a super-soaker watergun, loaded with red  koolaid and
vinegar.  Some of the bigger guns can spray 20', which may or  may not be
close enough.  But if you can hit the dog with the  spray, the vinegar is a
good repellant, and the koolaid will stain the  fur.  If that 20' range isn't
enough, get a paintball gun for longer  distances.  Then you can then make a
report that "yes, that's the dog that  keeps getting on our property,
Officer, the one with the red stains on its  fur......."

Best of luck, and hang in there.  Our partner farm's  neighborhood has
wandering dogs too, and I keep threatening to string field  fence around our
growing area and be done with it.  In all that spare  time.....
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at  frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

In a message dated 3/29/2011 5:55:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,