[Market-farming] Holding Dormant Strawberry Plants

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Mar 26 09:36:48 EDT 2011

I have frequently had strawberry plants show up when the weather was
too cold or too wet to finish the beds and get them planted. I hold
them in an old produce cooler out in the barn, at temperatures in the
low to mid 30's; and have had them keep as long as several weeks.

If your root cellar's fairly cold, I think it would work just fine;
even if it's warmer than the 30's I think they'd be OK for a week or
so. If the root cellar's in the 40's or warmer, and you can clear out
your refrigerator vegetable drawers and fit them in there, that might
be even better; but the main part of an ordinary refrigerator will
probably dehydrate them too much. I'd choose a root cellar even in the
50's over taking a chance on dehydrating them. -- You want them damp,
but not sopping wet: check the package every couple of days and add
just a little water on the roots if necessary.