[Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)

Rob Wallbridge rob at songberry.ca
Mon Mar 21 15:46:46 EDT 2011

Hi Jay,

Very interesting. I'm in the opposite situation in most respects, since a
lot of my land was only cut for hay, without much returned to the soil.

One suggestion I would make, though, would be doing some plant tissue
analyses - this will tell you exactly which nutrients in your soil your
plants are able to utilize. You may be applying fertilizer needlessly, or
compounding an existing imbalance, by applying more N, P, and K. High levels
of P and K will tie up other minerals, depending on the ratios and your pH.
Building organic matter and stimulating microbial activity in your soil will
help lower your pH, too.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge