[Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Mon Mar 21 14:16:30 EDT 2011

Yep, I am in the same situation.  High pH (6.8 to 7.4), high Ca, low Mg,
very high K and average P.  I am going to be farming this land for the
first time this year.  It has been a pasture for 50 years, and then
farmed conventionally (small grains) for the past five.

I somewhat wary of Mg deficiency, and I will be on lookout for that.
Since Mg is usually added using dolomitic lime, and the last thing my
soil (appears) to need is more Ca, I am wondering what I will be using
for adding Mg if it turns out to be the case.  But we will see,
hopefully it will not be a problem at all, so I am not sweating it just yet.