[Market-farming] high pH was (lime powder application)

Jay Sleichter jaysleichter at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 14:07:10 EDT 2011

Is any one running on the high side of pH, I am sitting between 6.9-7.4 in my different locations. I run 6-10 soil tests a year and over the last 4 years I have been able to lower my pH .2 to .5 points. These are in hoops and outside.  I had sulfur spring and fall.  1-1.5 pounds per 100 square feet.

I am not up on cover crops, but could planting a certain kind help with lowering my pH?

Also, my P and K counts are off the charts.  My whole "farm" use to be outside hog lots for many years.  They were tore out in the late '90's.  I just add some N and small amounts of P and K, concerned that even though they are very high, that some of it won't be usable for the plants.

I think the high P and K helps to bring out flavor in my tomatoes. I always get comments about how good they taste.

Just curious to see if anyone out there is dealing with similar situations.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More

Clay Center, Kansas